Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Smile

chelsetto

My sister, Chelsey, is about the happiest person you will ever meet.  Everywhere she goes she has a smile on her face. 

One time, when my sisters and I were quite little we were told that we had to do our Saturday chores before we could leave for an anticipated excursion.  Saturdays were probably the day of most conflict in our home because we always wanted to skip the cleaning and get right to having fun.  I’m sure some such argument had occurred and Mom sent us to our rooms to clean and shut herself up in the office.  We all sat angrily in separate rooms.  Chelsey, feeling the need to rectify the situation, scribbled the words “Chir Up” onto a crumpled up piece of paper.  She crept quietly to the office, flung open the door, hurled the piece of paper containing the all-important message onto the floor, slammed the door and ran away.

I’m pretty sure my mom still has that piece of paper.  There have been many occasions when Chelsey has “Chired” me up.  She’s the kind of person who is positive, kind, and enjoyable to be around.  She has the kind of energy that just draws people towards her.  I have tried to follow her example and always carry a smile on my face.  Sometimes it is really hard!  I don’t know that I will ever be as good at it as she is.  But I’m really grateful for her gift to see the best in people and the good in the world.  I want to be just like her when I grow up!  

1 comment:

  1. I love this! Chelsey is so sweet. And it is always so nice to have such a positive example of cheerfulness and optimism in our lives! My younger brother is like this too and I'm always trying to be like him! Thanks Whitney for sharing this! I needed a little reminder to "chir up". :)

    ReplyDelete